Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Harvey Pekar eulogy.

I first read his works at the Negative Burn anthologies.
It was a strip illustrated by Joe Sacco of him peeling tangerines.
I was amazed at how that silent pacing and simplicity of that strip
could give me that very strange tingle like when you get after finish
reading a whole-thick graphic novel. And I had no idea why in the world
you needed 2 person to do that 1-simple strip. After a couple of
alternative anthologies later, seeing his name always popping up,
I began to understand what this Harvey Pekar wave was about.
Like I was picking every little clue here and there subconsciously
and slowly building up a conscious idea of who Harvey Pekar was.

Then I was already doing autobiography comics and when I discovered
about Harvey Pekar, I realized that most of the artist out there shares
the same background and attitude towards life. I was a little shock at
how archetypal we artist were and no longer believe that I was special
among my peers. I learned that there is always a ''Harvey Pekar' among
the crowd somewhere out there.

But never one like him again that could glorified it out so well.

Ahh..that tangerine strip.

-chinyew

Posted via email from Chin Yew's Posterous

No comments: