Sunday, August 27, 2006

Day 27

*brrp.*

a week before i resigned, i was given
a task to produce a commercial. i was
asked to find a director. i looked
at the storyboard and thought to myself,
i can do this.

this opportunity i felt, was meant for me.
the animation was simple. i know animation.
hours of episodes of anime finally gonna pay-off.
the shots were easy. besides, its a local client.
what better commercial to start off with for a
young new director like me?

it was perfect. it was for me.

and so, with my greatest confidence(which i rarely have),
i proposed to my production head that
i could do it. i convinced him that i could
pull-off the animatics in just 2 days.

and he said,"go ahead."

and i did. i spent my weekend borrowing my friend's
DVcam and shot some footages. i didn't had a permit
to shoot, thus came the security guard who wanted to
confiscate my camera. i told him of my situation, and
beg him of mercy to spare my life.
he took pity on me and let me go.
went back home. cut it. animated it.
the next thing i know, it was already Monday morning.
just in time for work. i gave myself a good pat behind.

as i was driving to work. the mornin radio dj
was being a little irritating(or maybe i was just
grumpy due to no sleep.) by repeating the name of a
girl-group which i never heard of till then,
"pussy cat dolls. pussy cat dolls."

and i was like, "what the fuck? pussy cat---"
before i could finish grumbling the group's name,
a dead orange cat was already laying in the middle of
the road.

that was my first omen.

i reached the office. i showed my animatics
to my production head. he liked it, but..

"i'm sorry. the client is lookin for a more
experience director."

and that's life.


2nd part of the story.

then, i was asked to scan some storyboards because
no one else would do it.
i thought i've paid my dues of scanning for people
for the first 2 years of my career.
but still, i scan anyway. and with just the stroke of my
luck, the scanner was givin me problem. it turns off
by itself everytime i'm half scanning a page.

i moved to another pc. which has a scanner. but
without the driver files. i surf the web and downloaded
them. then, the files weren't workin properly.
it took me a few shouts and bangs of the keyboard
and assistant from my head to finally
configure the scanner.

as i struggle to keep myself awake,
i finally get to scan the pages smoothly.
and i'm sure most of you do know how boring
scanning can be. you get pretty restless
as the scanner do its thing.
*bbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrnnnnnnnnnnn..duk....
bbbbbbbbbbbbbrrnnnnnnnnnnnnn...duk...*

and to ease my frustrating mind,
i sang my all-time-favourite song which
i made up back in my scanning days. a song
with the tune of Lou Reed's Perfect day.

"i'm a scanner boy. scanning my life away.
oh, i'm a scanner boy. scanning everyday.
but not today!" (i wish)

minutes felts like hours. as soon as i was done,
i quickly gave the files to my production head,
and told him that i need to go back and sleep.

as i left the office, i pray that i'll
never be given any scanning chores ever
again.

while i was leaving, i saw a colleague of mine
reading a book. as usual, i get a little
busybody of what people reads, and so,
i asked to have a browse-through.

and the backcover of the book reads

"are you a scanner?".

my eyes widen. i flip to the front
cover of the book.

"what i want to do, when i want to do everything."

apparently, this book is about
people who has many talents in many
things and they are cursed to have a
greed of wanting to do everything.

aka. scanner.

one word. SyncroDestiny.
(but that sounds like 2.)

anyway,

i'll leave the rest to yr imagination.

-chinyew

p/s:and sorry, no painting today.
but heres the animatics i did in
one fuckin day. hooray!

pls do note that i only did the
shots and animatics. due to lack
of time, i used my own voice
for the soundeffects. character
design is not by me. i repeat,
NOT BY ME. because i feel the design
is a ripoff from a reknown designer i
saw a couple years back. will update
you all when i remember who.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish you could link-up all your paintings and present them as a short animation. with your own music.

i could only imagine the wonderful effect.


summer@heidi, LUCT

chinyew said...

hi, ms heidi,

hey, everyone, this is
my first year lecturer!

its so good to see you here!

i'm excited!

thanks for dropping by.

great idea.

for the finale, i have
something similar of
what you proposed.

do stay tuned.

-chinyew

Anonymous said...

hey.. the video clip.. couldn't view.