Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 12: Friend.

JORDAN TAN

Jordan is always smiling. He look exactly like this :)
24/7 without fail.

I shared many good memories with him.

If I was to start writing all about it,
it could take months.

I'll try and break it down as I go.

We started out working in the industry
together.

He was the guy that helped me to do CG on
my first television directing.
Wasn't for him and his effects, the channel
wouldn't have noticed me.

He took a 8 hours bus just to helped me with the effects
in my crampy room for 2 days straight.

(Jordan working in my crampy room.)

He quit the industry at his highest peak because
he was a nice person and he couldn't stand the politics that was going
on in the industry. He also loved and missed his family.
And so he packed his bags, left Kuala Lumpur and headed
back to his hometown to live a quiet life with his family.
The day I sent him off, deep down inside, I thought I knew,
he would come back. He would come back.

But he didn't.

_______________________________________


Art and CG had always been his true love.
During the day, he'll help his dad with the business,
and at night he'll research and polish his CG skills.

Pixel-Samurai.

He never gave up.

Everytime I asked him for favors to do CG,
I would promise him that one day, the station will
appreciate good quality stuff, and they will start
paying us more. I promised him I would change
the industry by showing them what we got for them.
He just smiled and looked at me,

"I'll only do CG for director Chin Yew."

I called him yesterday for another project.
A project which I no longer keen about.
Because I've given up on television.

I told him,

"Jordan, you don't have to do me any favor for this
project, cause I don't even care if this turn out
shit, and at the same time, I don't want to
underpay you."

He agreed.

That very same night, he suddenly passed away.

The following morning the producer of the project called me
and offered me a really ridiculous price for the project.
I rejected it.

I don't want to do it without Jordan.
Especially not at that ridiculous price the industry
is constantly giving us. I've had it. No longer I want to be bullied.

Now thinking back of our last conversation,
I wonder was he disappointed at my change and lack
of enthusiasm for the industry.


(Jordan did all the CG that helped me shine)
_______________________________________

I and Jordan also shared a same problem; no luck with girls.
I remember cruising at his hometown in his car, repeating
a mandarin poppy love track by S.H.E, again and again.
That was our little secret, because we presented ourselves
as rock guys. Heh.

Another night, long time ago, I and him suddenly
had the urge to listen to jazz, so we went to a jazz club.
It was very nice place; good food, good music, good
atmosphere. So I told him,

"Jordan, one day when I and you got a girlfriend,
we are gonna bring them here."

He smiled back.

_______________________________________

We also play music together and share similar music taste.
We are always trading and introducing new music to one another.

Music with Jordan.

Jordan comes down to KL once in awhile for projects and rock gigs.
The last time, I saw him, was outside my house.
We said our goodbyes as we normally do. But this time,
he was really happy for me, because I've finally found
a girlfriend. Recalling those last moments, it really
sounded like our final goodbyes. We hug and shake
hands.

We like to call each other "friend" in a unique tone.

"Hey friend, take care and farewell."

I'll always remember you, Jordan Tan.

-chinyew

(Me and my hoh peng you!)


Jordan's 30dayartist run: NOVEMBER 2006

No comments: