Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 28: Influences



When I'm asked to work on something,
I research deeply into it.

I remembered reading a book that
advises;

'research' is the ultimate to a masterpiece.

I watches tons of movies and read tons of
material every year.

Back when I was working as a concept writer
for a tv production house, I would watch
atleast 3 movies a day of a particular
genre or theme that I was asked to developed.

Currently I'm reading A DRIFTING LIFE.



I'm so thankful for my early manga reading years.

Back when I was in primary school, I was really
obsessed with Japanese manga and anime.
A close friend who was also into comics made
fun of them, and made various insults on
the Japanese art form. He also tried pushing
American comics to me. Soon other friends
joined along and made fun of me. Due to peer pressure,
I turned to American comics. But secretly,
I would still run down to the video shop and rent
an episode of Dragon Ball, or buy a copy of
translated version Lone Wolf. Years later,
the manga wave came to Malaysia, and everyone
dropped the superhero comics and turned to
Manga. So did all my friends that had laughed
at me.

I used to buy manga obsessively.
Even though I couldn't read Chinese, which was
the cheapest edition I could find,
I would still buy them, just to study them.
I was able to get the story even though
I couldn't read the words. Thinking back,
I think by doing that, it had forces myself
to digest the sequential images with in-depth,
and subconsciously I had trained myself
to master the sequential art form.

Those were my early influences.

I guess that was what developed my storytelling skill.

I have more influences, but I would say Japanese
art form shaped me most.

I really love A DRIFTING LIFE.
It talks about the manga art form.
The spirit inside the book reminds
me of my manga reading days.

Can't wait to share the book around once I'm done.

Posting early today, cause need to go Church
in the morning.

Heading to the studio now to visit the boys
and bring them awesome Malay style wet Char Kuey teow.

Yum Yum.

-chinyew



No comments: