Friday, December 03, 2010

Day 134: Reson to be good

Went to a musical at church today.
Typical of the theme is about good versus evil.
Great production, good effort dance choreography,
touching songs, nice stage design, but the story
was kinda shallow and thin. Not enough development
of characters. I like the first part where the premise shows
how the main character suffers from the madness
of the world. It made me felt related.
Like how crazy and hard the world is. Full of deaths,
greed, betrayal, etc, etc. The main character broke
down, gives up and succumbs. The little angel
tells the audience NO, that it'll be like selling your soul
to Satan.

I was awaiting to see how the story unfolds.
How are they gonna convince the non-Christians, the
power of God, over-flipping the man's decision.

I remember there are times too, I feel like giving up.

I needed to be convince again. I needed a good
reason why shouldn't I live like most of my peers
do? We only live once rite? I simply need a good
reason to stay good.

I asked a friend once, that very question.
He bluntly told me, that you don't need a good
reason to be good, you simply are.

So does that mean in nature, I'm not good?
And I'm just fighting, to be?

The second part of the musical was disappointing.
It just ends with everyone singing and dancing of
how that man needs God and everything will be fine
immediately.

Just like that.

Sometimes I find the church do that.
Bluntly give reason to non-Christian to be Christians;
just be good and good will come.

I believe in Him, don't get me wrong.
I believe in good. And I want to be good.
It's just that, sometimes I can't deny that
there are part of me that wants the easy way
out.

I can't just 'be', like most Christians are.
I believe there are alot of people who are like me too,
especially non-Christians, who needs more reasoning,
a more convincing story.

That is why I find stories so powerful.
And it is so important to tell them right.

That is also what I hope of my book;
I See So Many Butterflies.

(A friend made fun of the title the other day,
that how young people these days famously use that term
to indicate synchronicity. Heh. That was flattering.)

I find working on the book interesting because
I myself doesn't know how the ending will be.
Will it end in Good or Bad? It's like God and Satan
are constantly manipulating and influencing me
with the progression of the story.

What end will it come to Man?

I need more solid reasons for it to end Good.
I want it to end Good. But I don't want it to be like
some stories that just abruptly end in Good for the
sake of ending it in Good. I want my audience to
feel satisfied and reasoned of the ending,
no matter what the outcome is.

Btw, will be doing some field research tomorrow.

Keep you posted.

-chinyew

No comments: